It's another beautiful day in Herefordshire and we are counting down the days until the start of the 25th Hay Festival. As always Hay will be flooded with newcomers eager to soak up the fantastic atmosphere that Hay gives off. Many people will be keeping their fingers crossed for the weather as they will be glamping and camping in the surrounding area. If you are camping locally over the festival you will no doubt be enjoying the thought of a good campfire. The important thing to remember is to stay safe and make sure you have the permission of the campsite owner. Here are some safety tips to bear in mind
- Make sure you have access to a fire extinguisher nearby, otherwise a bucket of water handy.
- If you are using a firepit or BBQ whilst camping please remember never to take them into your tent or caravan. Even after you think the barbecue or fire has been extinguished, it will still give off carbon monoxide for many hours afterwards. This gas is clear and odourless but being poisonous can lead to collapse and potentially death in an enclosed space. For more information contact http://www.co-bealarmed.co.uk
- Log fires in Tipis which are well ventilated and specifically designed for fires are not a problem, neither are yurts with wood burning stoves that have a flue pipe out through the roof. However NEVER use charcoal BBQ’s in tipis or yurts.
- Always make sure your fire is just large enough to meet your needs; the smaller the fire, the safer it is. And once lit, your campfire should never be left unattended.
- Never have a campfire during long periods of drought when grass and hedges are brown and tinder dry.
When building your fire remember to use good quality dry firewood.
You will be able to purchase our Certainly Wood firewood packs at many outlets around Hay during the festival so you can be reassured you are buying great quality, great burning logs, that won't spit or smoke and come from a sustainable company, so they won't cost the earth. Find our logs on sale at; F.J Williams & Son, Glasebury Service Station, Regents Filling Station or perhaps even choose one of our campsite customers – Hay Outdoor Trading; Penlan Caravan Park or the Radnor Arms.
For more details on the Certainly Wood summer campfire range visit www.certainlywood.co.uk,