Back to Certainly Blog

Firstly, perhaps I should just explain what JOGLE is all about, because I hadn't a clue until 6 months ago when I decided I wanted to fulfil a lifetime challenge: cycle from John O' Groat's to Lands End (JOGLE), or the alternative was to go from Lands End to John O'Groat's (LEJOG!!) - So now you know.

My brother George, a fellow partner in the business, was also keen along with our two sons, to take up the challenge. And one cannot really undertake a challenge like this without raising money for Charity, so we chose Parkinsons, which our mother/grandmother suffers from.

So that sets the scene, and on Saturday we flew up to Scotland whilst my wife Lucy, our daughter Sophie, and George's daughter Rosie set of in a hired campervan to provide vital support during the event.

We set off from John O'Groats at 8 a.m on Sunday morning for a 104 mile ride to Donar Bridge, just north of Inverness. A reasonably fine day weatherwise but my oh my was it windy. As we went west along the north coast of Scotland we had a head wind of 20-30 mph and by lunch time we had only done 50 miles. We reached the last small village of civilisation before setting off south, only to find the only hotel was not doing food and the village shop was closing for lunch. We managed to persuade the lovely shop owner to stay open for ten more minutes whilst we stocked up on sandwiches etc. The boys had just about had it, so we could have had a major problem, but it was averted. We ended up eating in the pub and a very generous man donated £20 to our charitable cause.

Concerned at this stage that another 65 miles was not looking likely. We called in the support vehicle, presently in Inverness. Wow were we glad to meet them about 30 miles up the road. We had chocolate brownies, drinks and a huge lift to moral. Then we set off with just 35 miles to go, and finally arrived at our destination at 7.15 to be welcomed by our support team into the B&B. Quick shower, a massage by the team and then to the nearby pub for quick supper which we could barely eat due to excessive fatigue, so straight to bed.

Up at 7 a.m with porridge and breakfast at 7.30, then off we go at 8 a.m with much less wind and a much better day all round. With spirits up, we met the support team 70 miles on at 2 pm for pasta in the van and very welcome it was too. We finally arrived in Fort William after 114 miles, a happier team but somewhat weary. Supper now, then we start all over again tomorrow - 112 miles to Glasgow.

I will update you in a day or two's time. If you wish to support our charitable cause which has now raised well over £10,000, then please donate via our Just Giving Page -